FAQ Kapitel II.

  1. Compulsory registration for prostitutes according to ProstSchG

    1. What does compulsory registration mean to me?

    2. If you intend working as a prostitute you are required to register before your start working (Section 3 ProstSchG). You must register personally with the competent authority and this is linked with a conversation about information and advice. (more FAQ VI) You can only register once you have received health advice. (more FAQ III)

      The competent authority is the one in the area you mainly intend working. During registration, you will also be required to state all other cities or federal states in Germany where you intend working. It is best you list several places of work if you are unsure where you want to work. These places will be noted in your registration certificate. If you change your plans and you would like to work at a different location later on, you need to go back to the authorities and have any additional places added to your registration certificate. You are not required to do so, for instance if you work for a temporary period due to a particular occasion at a location other than you had stated before.

    1. What do I need to take with me to register?

      • ID card or passport with registration certificate (Meldebescheinigung), or at least an address where the authority can contact you

      • A work permit. You do not need a work permit if you are an EU national

      • Two passport photographs

      • Certificate of health counselling (more FAQ III)

    1. What do we talk about in the information and counselling meeting?

    2. You will receive information about:

      • the rights and obligations of prostitutes

      • health insurance

      • compulsory social welfare payments if you are employed as a prostitute

      • health and social counselling services

      • help in emergency situations (more FAQ VI, 6)

      • your tax obligations

    1. What information is included in my registration certificate?

    2. The following information is shown on your registration certificate:

      • Passport photo

      • First and last name or ALIAS (more FAQ II, 5)

      • Date and place of birth

      • Nationality

      • List of the places where you will work

      • Expiry date

      • Issuing authority

      If there are changes to your name, nationality, your place of residence or the place where you work, you need to inform the competent authority within 14 days.

    1. What does ‘alias’ mean?

    2. You are entitled to use an alias (your work name or pseudonym) when registering and attending health counselling. Remember, though, that you will have to present your ID card during registration, and that registration will be issued based on this. But you will receive another certificate in which you can choose any name that you would like to have added. This certificate is then valid with your alias name and photo. Your correct name and place of birth will not be mentioned.

      In states where you have to pay for registration and medical advice ( e.g. Bayern, Bremen, Rheinland-Pfalz, Saarland, Hessen, Sachsen, Sachsen-Anhalt, Brandenburg ) you have to pay extra for the Alias-certification.

    1. For how long will my registration be valid?

    2. If you register, your certificate must have been issued to you within 5 working days of registration. Make sure you register on time, as you will not be able to work without the certificate.

      If you are 21 or older, the registration is valid for two years and the certificate of health advice is valid for one year.

      If you are younger than 21, the registration certificate is only valid for one year and the certificate of health advice is valid for half a year.

    1. Am I required to carry my registration certificate?

    2. Yes! You must have the registration or alias certificate at all times when working, but only then.

    1. Who is entitled to check my registration certificate?

    2. Only the establishment owners, the competent employees of the authority and the police are entitled to check your certificate.

      You are not required to show your certificate to customers or colleagues.

    1. Can I bring someone along to help me with the registration?

    2. You are allowed to bring a friend or someone you can trust without approval of the authority.

      With your approval, the authority can ask a specialist advice centre for prostitutes or health issues to attend the meeting.

      Without your approval, only language mediatiors may be brought in.

    1. By when must I have registered as a prostitute?

    2. You need to register before you start working. You can ask your local authorities where you have to go for registration.

    1. Who will find out about my registration, and what happens with my data?

    2. The competent authority will inform the tax office immediately after your registration. Therefore, you will be registered as a taxpayer. (more FAQ VI, 5)

      Apart from that, the authorities are required to treat your data confidentially.

      Even internally, the authorities are only allowed to use your data for matters relating directly to this law. They are entitled to pass on your data to other agencies, for instance the police, if you are suspected of committing an administrative or criminal offence.

    1. I no longer want to work as a prostitute. When will my data be deleted?

    2. If you decide not to renew your registration, your data must be deleted no later than three months after the expiry of your registration certificate. If you want to stop working earlier you can go to the authorities with your ID and they will delete your information no later than three months.

      Operators of establishments are required to keep records of the prostitutes who provided sexual services for a period of two years.